Taylor Swift: Rio de Janeiro

Picture by Judy Lee

The three-day Rio de Janeiro pop sensation Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour ends on Monday night, leaving furious and dissatisfied Brazilian fans in the wake of two fatalities, muggings, and a hazardous heat wave.

After traveling from the country’s center-west to watch Swift, a fan called Gabriel Mongenot Santana Milhomem Santos, 25, was tragically stabbed on Copacabana beach. There was a second Swift fan death in only four days. Ana Clara Benevides Machado, 23, became ill after her debut performance in the city on Friday and passed away suddenly in a hospital later that evening.

Additionally, fans claimed experiencing heat stroke, being robbed, or becoming entangled in a police raid. The precise reason for Benevides’ death is still unknown. However, the Rio Municipal Health Department indicated that she had cardiorespiratory arrest while listening to Swift’s second song, “Cruel Summer,” as reported by a friend. According to the online news source G1, Rio’s Forensic Medical Institute inspected the remains on Saturday and stated that more laboratory testing was necessary.

Swift said she had a “shattered heart” after learning of Benevides’ passing in an Instagram message. Fans waited in line outside the Nilton Santos Olympic Stadium for hours before the event on Friday. The temperature there spiked to 41 degrees Celsius. People inside the stadium had to bear the oppressive heat, and several said it was hard for them to acquire water.

“I never thought my dream could become a nightmare,” fan Kléssia Menezes remarked after she and hundreds of other fans were trapped on a ramp leading to a VIP section on Saturday due to security personnel blocking the entry. She claimed that when they allowed them in, she fell to the burning floor, which burnt her body, and that’s when everyone started running. After hours of standing in the heat in line, tens of thousands of fans were told that the event that night would not go on.

Julia Alvarenga, a fan, expressed her displeasure with Swift for delaying her cancellation. Social media users posted videos of pickpockets stripping fans of their goods. The performance on Saturday was moved to Monday, but the attendees who had come from outside Brazil and other parts of the nation made preparations to go earlier. Traveling from Panama, Hely Olivares, a 41-year-old Venezuelan, stated, “We’re not going to be able to make it.” “Many people have traveled in vain.”