Puzzles are the Best Activity

Picture by Judy Lee

In a time of extreme stress and the bustling world around us, it is important to set aside time to decompress. Our minds deserve a break, and there is no better way to do that than to relax. One of the best ways to do this is to complete a jigsaw puzzle. 

Puzzles are not only extremely entertaining, but they bring many benefits to our minds. One of the most common benefits is the simple feeling of relaxation. While stress and demands surround us daily, puzzles are an easy way to escape reality and distress after a long day. The soothing nature of puzzles allows us to subconsciously practice mindfulness and being present in the moment as we attempt to piece the small parts together to create a larger picture. 

With this, it is important to mention that puzzles allow us to build mental strength. Though they are relaxing, puzzles present a challenge to those who are willing to participate. While completing a jigsaw puzzle, our minds are forced to tune in to our cognitive abilities to initiate our problem-solving skills and our ability to decipher patterns. After spending time on such an activity, our minds begin to train to improve our long-term memory retention and our ability to think more critically. Puzzles allow us to use our creativity freely to build a bigger picture that will ultimately be worthwhile. 

Though it may not seem like it, puzzles also indirectly bring the people around us together. No language is required to be able to piece together an image that all people ultimately have an understanding of. Friendships are built and connections are strengthened by building puzzles together. If we are unable to understand each other, puzzles allow us to come together to perform a task that requires no special level of understanding other than being present in the moment. They allow us to learn together. After spending hours on one activity, the satisfaction that is felt in completion will be the greatest binding factor between us and our peers. 

In hindsight, puzzles ultimately become more than just a simple activity to do in your free time. They provoke intellectual thinking and endless creativity that allows us to build bonds. In the end, these small benefits of building puzzles pile into one large jigsaw puzzle of their own to defend the claim that puzzles are the best activity to do in your pastime.