2024 Superbowl Commercials

The Superbowl is one of the most prominent events every year in America, and it has practically become a traditional holiday celebrated by most families in the states. But for as long as I can remember, before I even knew what the Superbowl was about, the only thing that caught my attention was the mesmerizing and unforgettable commercial breaks. The time and money spent making these commercials is a strange heritage this event has adopted. Still, it makes the watching experience much more enjoyable and brings in a larger audience. Every year, the commercials become more amusing and give their viewers a new experience, whether comedic, cinematic, or emotional. This year, the promotions did that exact thing; some even caused social media buzz. 

The number one ad that arguably raised the most traction this year was the Temu commercials. This was not because of its beautifully filmed cinematography or the emotions it evoked from viewers but because it flustered the internet so much. Many questions arose from this, especially since Temu is a company that sells goods cheaply. People wondered where they had gained the money necessary to publish not one but four different advertisements. Posting only one would have cost up to seven million dollars, but with the amount that Temu put out, they would have spent tens of millions, and on top of that, they gave away the $15 million as a part of their campaign. The other particularly shocking factor that caused these commercials to gain so much attention was the pronunciation of the brand name. Multiple videos were published where people were amazed to learn they had been saying it wrong. This ad had been one of the better ones this year, not because of how well done it was but because it was surprising and unexpected. 

The second commercial that deserves to be highlighted this Super Bowl season is the Cetaphil commercial. The ad was meant to be heartwarming and bring together fathers and their daughters because of their newfound shared interests between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. The advertisement did precisely that and was able to reach many households where a similar occurrence has taken place. Though it was meant to be heartwarming, it had also riled up some controversy from a TikTok influencer claiming that Cetaphil had robbed the idea from her because of some similar content she had posted about herself and her stepfather. It didn’t take long to debunk these claims and calm the situation. Despite the minor conflict, Cetaphil could still reach its intended audience and create a special moment for many families. 

A slight change of pace from the previous two commercials, the Doritos ad starring Jenna Ortega, brought a light-hearted sense of comedy to the TV screens this Superbowl Sunday. The commercial follows a comedic storyline starring Jenna Ortega’s character, shopping obliviously. At the same time, her grandmothers are involved in a dynamic, fast-paced chase with another shopper to get the last bag of Doritos Dinamita chips. The fun nature of the ad made it appealing to many audiences and further engaged them in the spirit of the game. 

The final ad, which is the most elaborate and creative, was the Cera Ve ad starring Michael Cera. The teaser to the ad was revealed early this month with a TikTok video of Michael Cera going viral. In the video, he is pictured signing his name on all Cera Ve bottles in a Target. The ad gained a lot of traction because of the long-running internet joke that came before it and the clever play on words with his name and the company name.