The Nicki Minaj & Megan Thee Stallion Feud

Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion are some of this generation’s most influential female rappers. Both artists have risen to prominence in the past few years and, since then, have impacted the music industry dramatically. With her unapologetically confident personality, Minaj has broken down stereotypes regarding women in the music industry, especially female rappers. She has won 12 Grammys and has become an icon to millions. Stallion has an empowering persona and embodies feminism, sexuality, and confidence in her art. Many of her songs are popular on the platform, ‘TikTok,’ and millions of fans favor her music. Minaj has released seven major studio albums since 2010, and Stallion has released two major studio albums since 2017; however, there needs to be competition since both artists are incredibly talented. However, there has been some discourse between the two rappers in recent months.

‘Hiss’ is a single that Megan Thee Stallion released on January 26th, 2024. The song quickly topped many global charts just days after its release, including chart-topping the ‘Billboard Global 200,’ making Megan Thee Stallion the first female rapper to top that chart. Soon after the release of ‘Hiss,’ fans eventually realized that the song was somewhat of a diss track against Nicki Minaj, and although the song isn’t classified as a ‘diss track,’ some lines in it say otherwise. One specifically perceptible line in the single states, “These h**** don’t be mad at Megan, these h**** mad at Megan’s law.” This lyric doesn’t directly mention Nicki Minaj; however, fans dissected that the diss comes from the ‘Megan’s Law’ part. Megan’s Law is the federal American Law that requires law enforcement authorities to notify the public of registered sex offenders in certain areas and to provide information about those offenders for public safety. Megan implemented this line as a diss against Minaj because Minaj’s husband, Kenneth Petty, is a registered sex offender. In 1994, Petty faced a first-degree rape charge which he ultimately pleaded guilty to. Additionally, in 2019, when Petty failed to register as a sex offender in the state of California, he was later sentenced to a year of home confinement, three years probation, and a 55,000 dollar fine.

After the immense success of ‘Hiss,’ Nicki Minaj hoped for a clap-back. Minaj hoped to capitalize off her feud with Megan, so only three days after the release of ‘Hiss,’ Minaj released, ‘Big Foot.’ Big Foot was more obviously a diss track towards Megan. Some direct disses towards Megan in the song include lines like, “This lil’ beggin’ ***** talkin’ about Megan’s Law” and “Swearin’ on your dead mother when you lie,” These disses are targeted very directly at Megan. Megan’s mother, Holly Thomas, died in 2019 due to brain cancer. In 2022, Megan established the Pete and Thomas Foundation for her late mother and father.

Another line states, “She likes six feet; I call her Big Foot.” In this line, Nicki attempted to make fun of Megan’s height. Megan is 5’10 and embraces her stature with her nickname ‘thee stallion.’ Additionally, the implication of bigfoot seemingly represents and mocks when Megan was unfortunately shot in the foot by Tory Lanez after a dispute between the two rappers in 2022. Lanez was then sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2022. ‘Bigfoot’ has not topped any music charts yet, and ‘Hiss’ remains the currently most viral single among the two. Niki Minaj continued to ridicule Stallion on ‘X’ by liking tweets that made fun of Stallion.

Niki Minaj and Meghan Thee Stallion are two of the most influential and talented female rappers, and, unfortunately, they are in a dispute.