Top 10 Best Book Tropes

Top 10 Best Book Tropes

If you’re a book reader, you know all about book tropes and how there are many different tropes with even more ways to write them. Some readers will base their favorite books on the tropes alone because they can make or break a book. The big question is, what are the best tropes?

At number ten, we have childhood friends and lovers. This trope makes it a cute book and is excellent if you want a feel-good romance. On the other hand, it can also help create an Angsty and sad story, like If He Had Been With Me and its sequel If Only I Had Told Her. This trope is so low on the list because, while it is a fantastic trope, it tends to be overused. 

We have the “only one bed,” or the Forced Proximity trope at number nine. Usually, I hate this trope because it’s overdone and cliché. However, I’ve recently read a few books with this trope and absolutely loved it. This is one of those tropes that must be written right to be good and feel natural instead of forced. While force is in the name, it doesn’t read well if it feels forced in the book.

At number eight we have” Grumpy x Sunshine.” This trope is really adorable, but not really my style. I feel like it’s overdone and also not always written very well. I like this if it’s a side trope, but I don’t tend to enjoy those books if it’s the central trope.

At number seven we have “Flirty x Innocent.” This isn’t my favorite trope, it’s another trope best used as a side story. However, I enjoy the interactions between the two characters, as it makes for some funny lines in the book. 

At number six, we have the Forbidden Love Trope. I really enjoy books like this because they are fun to read. These also tend to have a lot of drama involved in them, which makes a book ten times better. This book trope is also good if you convert a book into a movie or TV show. Whenever I read a book in this trope, I smile or giggle the entire time. Unfortunately, Romeo and Juliet ruined this trope just a bit for me. Don’t come for me, but I didn’t like the play; it annoyed me how they could have fixed everything if they had talked more.

At number five, we have Best Friend’s Brother/Sister. I like this trope. It creates drama and can make for a really good story. I always like it when the best friend finds out about the relationship, or at least feelings, between their brother/sister and their best friend. It can go one of two ways, either betrayal or acceptance. Either way creates a fantastic story, and I always enjoy these books.

At number four, we have Opposites Attract. I read a few books with this trope and found nothing wrong with them. I love the banter this trope evokes between the love interests. This trope also usually happens between two people who hate each other, and that’s another favorite trope of mine.

At number three, we have Fake Dating. I always find books with this trope so fun and exciting to read. If anyone has read The Love Hypothesis before, that book has the Fake Dating trope. I adore the book and have reread it several times since buying it.

At number two, we have Academic Rivals. This trope is entertaining, especially the banter between the two love interests.

Finally, at number one, my favorite trope is Enemies to Lovers. I have read so many books with this trope and have never been tired of it. It’s always fun to read, and I can envision it perfectly. The tension between the love interests is incredible, and as they get to know each other, they start falling for one another. When written right, it is easy to become engrossed in the book.

Overall, these are my personal opinions. You might disagree with what I put, and that’s okay. I hope you enjoyed reading, and maybe you’ll pick up a book with one of these tropes next time you buy a new book!