Dylan Mulvaney Song Controversy

Picture by Judy Lee

Dylan Mulvaney is a transgender internet sensation who has grown extremely popular in recent years. She is best known for posting videos on the social media platform TikTok, where she brings fans along with her on her journey of girlhood.  Mulvaney reached 365 days and beyond as she documented every day and every step of her process in transitioning, as she took us through rough days and surgeries. 

Since this chapter, Mulvaney has accomplished many things. In August 2023, she was her first Streamy for breakout character, and in October 2023, she won Woman of the Year. These awards alone have brought significant criticism to Mulvaney. In a recent month, she wrote a song that sparked major controversy surrounding the term “girlhood.” 

The song is entitled “Days of Girlhood” and highlights what Mulvaney believes are the actual traits of being a girl. She talks about shopping, boys, and doing makeup. She used phrases like, “Tuesday morning, pick up meds,” and “Saturday, we flirt for drinks.” Women and young girls are taking offense and criticizing Mulvaney for inappropriately and inaccurately representing the ideals of women by feeding into stereotypical ideas that society has formed surrounding women. 

Mulvaney has faced extreme backlash in the past month for her single as she portrays stereotypes that women feel are making a “mockery” of women. People even went as far as saying that this is the “most annoying song” ever made. People who came in defense of Mulvaney called people “transphobic” for stating their opinions. This created a major divide in her supporters online. 

Since the backlash, Mulvaney has since responded with a video. She discussed her intentions and how hard her transition was. She defended herself by saying that her second year of girlhood was “extremely painful,” especially after being in the public eye. Mulvaney explained that she meant to poke at the struggles of being a girl in a comical way, but people did not take it light-heartedly. She further defends herself by saying she never intended to become a “pop star” but just to document her journey through music after facing so much negativity. 

After all that Dylan Mulvaney has faced within the past two years, she seems as though she is used to the criticism. Her response to the backlash and her perseverance throughout her journey display admirable traits and room for growth as she continues on her path of stardom.