Love, Simon Review

Picture by Sheehwa You

Picture by Sheehwa You

By Shanink Xilonzochilt, Staff Writer

Love, Simon is a coming-of-age movie filled with comedy, romance, and drama. This movie is based off of the novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. Albertalli originally wrote this book partly to visualize how she as a parent would handle a situation in which her children were gay. Ultimately, she wrote this book in order to let her kids know that she’d love them no matter what, gay or not. This movie should be watched by everyone — it’ll open your eyes.

The movie revolves around the life of a normal teenager named Simon who has “One huge secret” — he’s gay. Then, one day while on a blog, someone known as “Blue” comes out anonymously as gay on the site. Anonymously, Simon emails “Blue,” revealing to him that he’s also gay. They continue to email each other, eventually building a relationship and even feelings. He struggles throughout the movie to keep it a secret, while also struggling to figure out who at his school is “Blue.”

The film takes the viewer back into high school to see the various struggles Simon experienced as a closeted gay male. He was put in situations that most of us wouldn’t have been in. He had to hide a part of him because he was afraid of what people would think of him or if it would change the way they see him.

Love, Simon illustrates how people are more than just their sexual orientation. Just because someone is gay does not make them any different than they were before coming out. The audience is forced to ask themselves how they would personally handle this situation. Imagine having to hide a part of you because your friends and family or society might not accept you for you.

This film is a game changer for the film industry because such films have not been made before. We now live in a society where people are more open-minded about themselves and others. Love, Simon is a film definitely worth watching either with friends or just by yourself. Watching it will open your eyes to the different problems that Simon faced (as well as many other homosexual people) because of his one huge secret.

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

The Legacy of Mac Miller

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

American Horror Story: Apocalypse

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

The Nike Boycott

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

Back to School Fashion

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

New Spirit Day Suggestions

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

Video Music Awards Review

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

Fortnite Vs. PUBG

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

Met Gala Overview

• Love, Simon Review

A&E

Am I Ready for College?

Love, Simon Review