Senior Movie Night

Picture by Eileen McGregor

By Eileen McGregor, Staff Writer

Senior year is arguably the best year in high school. You are done with all of the horrors of sophomore and junior year and can now kick back and relax with senior lunch privileges, chronic absenteeism, and, naturally, senior-only events. Amongst the obvious benefits of exclusivity are the usual variety of free food, activities, and photos – unless it is a polaroid. Seniors, take advantage of the senior only activities this year! It is a great way to bond with your friends and fellow classmates before you leave. While bigger events like Senior Sunrise and Senior Assembly are largely popular, do not forget to check out the Quartz Hill Activities pages for smaller, but just as fun events too.

One such small event, Senior Movie Night – the first one of the year! – boasted a couple of hours of relaxation and enjoyment. Admission was free for ASB cardholders and an affordable price of $1 for those without. At precisely five o’clock, a projector in the library displayed the movie of the evening: How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Decorations such as paper snowflakes and blue streamers covered the library in accordance with the winter theme. A small photo booth made of blue snowflake-covered paper and candy canes against the wall gave students a chance to document the moment with friends. Chips, pastries, candy, and hot chocolate were available at a nearby table for everyone’s enjoyment. As the movie commenced, groups of friends took to comfortable perches on couches and settled in.

The nice thing about Senior Movie Night is the lack of regular movie theater rules. For instance, you are free to get up and grab more free snacks while the movie plays without the fear of disrupting others. As an added perk, the atmosphere is just more personal than a regular movie theater. Being in a cozy room with warm food and great friends is a great way to relax during the golden period of the first semester: after the stress of college applications, but before the avalanche of exams during finals week. While senior movie nights are an incredible perk of being a senior and a reward for surviving four whole years of high school, the events are also, disappointingly, largely unattended by anyone who is not a member of ASB. As a reward and a classic senior hallmark, be sure to keep an eye out for notices so you can attend the next senior movie night!