“’Yes chef!” The Bear, a modern masterpiece’

Picture by Abbie Vilcapoma

Unlike any show brought to our screens, The Bear is a unique masterpiece. It may only look like a cooking show set in Chicago from the cover, but it is so much more. The cinematography, the emotion, and the actor’s fantastic job portraying each character and their growth over the show’s two seasons make it a fantastic must-watch for anyone who wants to see a show and feel impacted by it. 

Every scene is intentional and adds so much. From the chopping of an onion to the silence after a discussion, it all adds up to make a fantastic watch that puts you into the character’s shoes. This style continues even into the comedy of the show. While there aren’t too many, each comedic moment is an excellent way of breaking the tension built from the last scene. The comedy doesn’t feel forced but natural, with each character having a unique comedic style that helps develop their character’s bonds with each other. 

This masterpiece doesn’t even stop there. The cast is the best put-together I have ever seen in a show. Jeremy Allen White brought a stressed and emotion-filled main character to watch rise and fall throughout the show. Ayo Edebiri, who played Sydney, brought sarcasm and delicious food. Ebon Moss-Bachrach, who played Richie, brought humor and an emotional character arc. Overall, the entire cast showed so much emotion in each character, with each one adapting to the ever-changing restaurant around them. There is never a break from the action or time to stop. In episodes like “Review” from season one, where there are few to no cutaways between each scene and instead one long-continued scene, you will never see the actors break character through the extended scenes. Everyone on screen takes their role seriously, and for their efforts, they have been awarded 10 Emmys and countless nominations with only two seasons under their belt so far.

Another thing I must mention is The Bear’s fantastic job of filling the audience with suspense. Unlike what you would see in any other show about food and family, The Bear does an outstanding job of creating suspense. The Bear fills the viewer with anxiety through intense close-ups and the noises of the bustling kitchen. The editing and filming behind this is genius. It builds that powerful tension that keeps the viewer’s attention. The best episode that shows this in action is from season 2, “Fishes.” where we get a view of our main character Carmy’s life before the restaurant. This episode makes you feel all the characters’ anxieties, stresses, and worries. And with the expansive list of well-known actors, this episode is impressive and presents the audience with a side of life outside the kitchen.

Don’t sleep on the award-winning masterpiece that is The Bear. Now is a perfect time to watch the first two seasons since FX has confirmed season 3 is in the works.