Should they Change the Age Limit on Government Jobs?

Picture by Aden Wang

With Presidential elections coming up, a lot of people have been debating and brawling about a plethora of factors regarding the presidential election, like demographic backgrounds, what they are offering, what type of person they are, and what their beliefs are, But the most talked about factor when choosing a president is age.

Many people believe there should be an age limit for running for president or any other top government job. Many would voice their opinion on this topic through social media, protests, and podcasts. They believe that you shouldn’t be running for president if you are old enough to retire. Many would make a counter-argument that that is ageism and that anyone and everybody should have a chance to run for president to represent this country. 

Not even just the president. Many believe older people shouldn’t run for governor or even be on the Supreme Court just because they have a greater risk of death and health issues. People also would make the counter-argument that these things could happen to anyone at any age, even young people. Another argument people tend to make is that older people have memory issues, and their performances are typically slower, which is true; younger people don’t struggle with memory issues most of the time and tend to move at a more sufficient speed. People also believe that older people have more knowledge since they have lived for a long time. Still, anyone of any age can research past generations and gain the knowledge of an older person. Age is not equal to how much knowledge one has.

Another point that younger people make is that many older people’s knowledge needs to be updated, and things need to be simplified. Still, as I previously stated, people believe that knowledge is associated with age. Still, anyone can do their research and gain knowledge that older people have. Older people are indeed more ignorant when it comes to accepting things our generation has. Still, if they really wanted to, they could learn to accept it and have as much knowledge as younger people. Younger people also say they want someone they can relate to, so a younger person should be in a government official seat. However, that can also be the same for older people. Some older people want someone they can relate to, too. 

In conclusion, there should be both younger and older people as government officials. There should not be an age limit because, at the end of the day, young people want someone they can relate to, and it’s the same for older people. We can compare arguments and counter-arguments on why older people shouldn’t be able to run, but we won’t get anywhere. So, instead of ensuring older people aren’t able to run, we should encourage younger people to run so everyone can have someone to relate to.