Technology

Netflix is Better Than Youtube — Amelie Ryu

Netflix is better than YouTube. There are so many things to watch on Netflix. The list of shows and movies you can watch is endless. You can even watch shows from different countries like Asia and Europe. These days, Netflix has been adding a lot of new and old Korean shows, and they are very good. I am sure you have heard of Squid Game, or All of Us Are Dead. They got pretty popular here in America. Apart from Korean shows, Netflix features classic sitcoms like Friends or The Office.

Netflix offers many good films, too, like the new film The Power of the Dog. There are different genres and the streaming service even makes suggestions based on what you have watched.

YouTube has a large selection, which are, in fact, free, but most of these are of terrible quality and look cheap. Some may argue that YouTube is better because you do not need to pay. However, you still have to pay separately to watch good movies or shows, so it isn’t really free. 

YouTube also has tons of ads that interrupt your viewing every time you watch a video. YouTube Premium, a YouTube subscription, allows for ad-free viewing, however, it is useless and a waste of money. If you want to watch good quality movies and you are going to pay anyway, you might as well pay for Netflix instead.

Internet Friends Are Awesome — Ashlee Guardado

We’ve been told thousands of times about the dangers of the internet—mainly people who pretend to be someone they are not, like scammers, hackers, and creepy people. Not to say it is not dangerous, of course, but there is some good within it.

I’ve spent hours on the dreaded platform, Twitter, and have met some spectacular people that I get to call my best friends. I’ve struggled to talk to people, even my friends, and it always leaves me sad. Not all my friends are interested in the same topics as me, so I can’t come up with a good topic of conversation most of the time. However, when I talk to my online friends, I can go on and on about my interests without worrying if I am stuttering or tripping on my words. There are so many people online where you can find others who share one or more hobbies with you, whereas in school, you are limited to those around you.

Speaking on the phone is my least favorite thing since I am always awkward and prefer to message people if possible. Even if I have to set up a fundraiser for a club, I always try to find a form to fill out rather than give them a call. However, when I first spoke to one of my online friends, it was the first time I’ve ever felt comfortable speaking to another person. To this day, they are the only people I can hold an eight-hour conversation with where I feel comfortable talking about anything.

As an introvert, online friends help me and may help others. Time zones suck, but it can feel absolutely amazing when they talk to you.

Chrome vs Safari: Which is More Efficient? — Brian Kim

When it comes to deciding which form of browsing to use, there are many reasons why Chrome is the more logical and practical option compared to Safari. Safari ultimately lacks in various fields that make up a good browsing experience. 

For example, Chrome has a more simplistic layout, while Safari requires many learning curves for the user. In addition, Google Chrome comes with more valuable features than Safari, including a bookmark and tab manager and a limitless library of extensions, apps, and plugins. Chrome also offers syncing, allowing tabs and bookmarks to be transferred immediately and easily across devices. 

On the other hand, it is essential to address that Safari may be the better option on iOS devices, including Macs and iPhones. This is because Chrome requires more energy and RAM and isn’t able to protect your privacy as efficiently as Safari does on iOS devices. However, this fact cannot overpower Chrome’s rigorous security to warn of dangerous sites, files, and downloads when browsing, not to mention the updates in progress for Chrome to use less power in the future. 

In addition, the user-friendly interface of Chrome allows for painless multitasking, the main feature that causes me to favor Chrome over Safari, making Chrome a better option for students in general. The multitude of extensions for Chrome includes features like automated citations for websites, proofreading, grammar checking, and more, all located in simple extensions, a critical component that Safari lacks in terms of academic usage.

MacBook or iPad? — Patrick Park

Apple has become one of, if not the most significant technology companies in recent years. At the end of 2020, Apple had a net worth of about 65 billion dollars. What made Apple so successful? 

Obviously, one of the biggest factors attributed to Apple’s success is the performance and design of its products. Apple products have a very minimalist yet aesthetic design which is very popular amongst consumers. According to CNN Business, Apple’s main demographic is between individuals 25 and 34. Taking the iPhone off the table, the next two most popular Apple products include the iPad and the Macs, which sold 71 million units and 20 million units, respectively. As a future college student, which one is better? 

First, let’s take a look at the pricing. The base iPad costs about $330, while the base MacBook Air costs $899. This is a significant difference, of about $500. However, there are a lot of differences between the two products. The most obvious difference between the two is the fact that one is a tablet while the other is a laptop. iPads are essentially larger phones, while MacBooks are laptops. 

If we are looking through the perspective of a college student, it is important to consider their majors. For example, if you are an art major, you should go with the iPad as you can add an Apple pencil, which allows you to draw directly on the tablet. On the other hand, If you have a major that requires you to take a lot of notes, a MacBook might be the better option. If you want a bit of a hybrid, the iPad might be the better option solely due to its versatility. Apple has a large line of accessories for their iPads, which range from keyboards to pencils. 

In conclusion, I personally feel a MacBook is a safer option. Granted, an Ipad is more convenient and easier to carry than a MacBook. However, if you are a college student, an Ipad will not suffice with all of your technological needs.