Max Holloway’s fight night win against now-retired Korean Zombie

On August 26, 2023, a UFC fight night was held between former featherweight champion Max Holloway and competitor Chang Sung Jung, A.K.A, the “Korean Zombie.”  Holloway(24-7) knocked out Jung(17-8) at the 23-second mark of the third round at UFC Fight Night on Saturday. 

This fight was headlined at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. The fight was a sign of Holloway’s dominance in the Featherweight division and redemption for reaching the title as the featherweight champion again. However, at the moment of it, Jung announced his retirement from mixed martial arts at age 36 during the Octagon interview. “ I’m going to step away from fighting,” Jung said through an interpreter. “I’ve always tried to become a champion since I started in the sport. I’m not here to be ranked No.3, 4 or 5. I tried my absolute best to train for Holloway, and I failed. I don’t think I have the opportunity to be champion anymore, so I’m going to stop fighting.” As fans watched, Jung walked out of the Octagon to the song “Zombie” by the Cranberries as a bittersweet final message to his fans of his legacy in the UFC. 

Throughout the fight, Jung applied lots of pressure on Holloway each round, throwing consecutive combos and power shots. Still, Holloway expertly evaded attempts and had control for most of the fight. Jung’s aggressive pressuring left many weak opening points for Holloway to strike and perform takedowns. In round one, Holloway landed a left hook on Jung, hurting him to where his defense and strikes became sloppy. In the second, Holloway dropped Jung with a right hand, almost leading to a d’Arce choke submission, but Jung survived. Finally, in round three, Jung appeared aggressive and advanced with wild punches and combinations. Holloway had found an opening during this and dropped Jung with a right-hand counter. 

Holloway paid homage to Jung in his post-fight interview, “This man’s a legend. He’s a Korean Zombie for a reason. The man is a myth, a legend. I’m just lucky my right hand landed before his.” Holloway’s remarks truly reflect his gratitude towards Jung and his mark on the UFC. The fight’s final moments accurately symbolize Jung’s lasting legacy in the sport. He gained notoriety for his excellent chin and aggressive style when he first debuted.