Damian Lillard

Damian+Lillard

After 11 years with the Portland Trailblazers, the seven-time all-star Damian Lillard has been traded to the Milwaukee Bucks. This trade was a three-team deal, including the Phoenix Suns as well. Milwaukee only received Damian Lillard, Portland received Jrue Holiday, Deandre Ayton, and Tuomani Camara, while Phoenix received Jusuf Nurkic, Grayson Allen, Nasir Little, and Keon Johnson.

Lillard wanted out of the Blazers organization earlier this summer due to no team changes. By this he meant he wanted more support from other players on the team to win an NBA championship. The team’s general manager, Joe Cronin, said this in a statement: “We have been clear that we want Dame here, but he notified us today he wants out and he’d prefer to play someplace else. What has not changed is that we’re committed to winning and will do what’s best for the team to achieve that goal.” Lillard originally wanted to go to Miami to play for the Heat alongside Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo, saying, “I don’t think it was a secret that Miami was where I wanted to go when I asked for a trade. When this conversation started, it was like, ‘We aren’t going to be able to build this team out. We’ll help you get to where you want to go.’ And that was where I wanted to go at that time.” but was partnered alongside Giannis Antetokounmpo.

With Lillard playing with Antetokounmpo, this makes a very high-contending team to win the NBA championship. Antetokounmpo was emotional with Jrue Holiday being traded, saying, “ Jrue is my brother for life. I love his family. I love him. I appreciate him. I wish him nothing but the best. He blessed me with a championship.” Antetokounmpo expressed his thoughts with Lillard on the team in that interview, stating, “ Now, at the same time, I’m excited to have Dame. He gives us a chance to win a championship. I’m excited to play with the caliber of player that he is.” Antetokounmpo felt bittersweet after these trades but is ready to try and win another ring. 

The Bucks won a championship in 2021, have made the playoffs in seven consecutive seasons, and last year, they had a record of 51-31. With those two stars on the team, they must figure out a solution for sharing the ball. Both players are very accustomed to keeping and scoring the ball. Antetokounmpo said this addressing that problem: “He’s the guy that’s going to make a lot of decisions with the ball in his hands, in early offense, in late offense, early clock, late clock, early offense, late in the game. He’s going to make a lot of decisions for this team, and I trust him. I’ve been playing with him for a few days, like, I know he’s gonna to find me.”